Description
The exterior of the Church of Santa Maria Assunta, in the hamlet of Castelluccio, shows a plastered horizontal façade, with stairs leading to a stone portal, alongside which is a smaller door.
The central entrance has a round arch within a rectangle, embellished with lacunars, an arched lintel and two side pilasters terminating in two griffin heads, inside of which is the architrave (dated 1528).
The interior appears as a Renaissance building with a central plan, formed by four short arms and an octagonal dome, decorated with rustic paintings from 1862. A mottled floor separates the entrance from the 17th-century altar that occupies the entire rear arm. It has carved wooden Crucifix from the 15th century, flanked by the figures of Our Lady of Sorrows and St. John painted on panels (18th cent.). The canvas of Saints Sebastian and Rocco at the high point of the altar is possibly by Tommaso Bartoli of Norcia (17th cent.).
The right arm holds an elegant stone altar in the Renaissance style dedicated to the Assumption, from 1540. In the mixtilinear arch are bas-reliefs of the prophets David and Isaiah. In 1990 the niche revealed the figures of the brothers of the Company of the Rosary and, with them, the corollary of the 15 mysteries on the wall next to it, by the Angeluccis, from 1582. In the left arm is the altar of St. Anthony Abbot and eleven scenes from the life of the saint by a late 16th-century painter, including the blessing of the animals, the temptation of the devil in the desert and the freeing of the possessed person.
The sacristy holds an embossed chalice by Pietro Spagna (1736-1788).