Description
The parish church of Our Lady of the Castle, arises on a small hill of the same name above the village, previously occupied by an Augustinian monastery developed from a high tower. Left in ruins for about twenty years after it was devastated by a violent flood, it was restored in 1909; it had a second restoration, following the damage done by the earthquake in 1979. Primarily it had a Romanesque structure; today its look is that of the XV century (repeating in a minor key the plan of the ancient parish church).
The church of St. Anatolia shows a ogival portal with the Angel Crucigero in the wedge; above the step at the entrance, remnants of a roman epigraph: VS Q.F. PONTIFEX, ET TESTAMEN. Romanesque belfry.
The interior has a single nave, two spans, with vaulted pillars. The small apse, where are fragments of frescoes, is presently occupied by the sacristy; here a wooden statue of Our Lady from the second half of the XV century is preserved (work of art by some abruzzesi artists). On the main altar is a painting with Christ resurrected, leaning on the cross and adored by some Angels (Mannerism of roman school), signed by Francesco Maria Nobili from Cerreto di Spoleto (1550). There was also a processional cross, now lost, from 1595. It was made of gold brass plate with polychrome enamel medallions. According to an abruzzese style, bas-reliefs were on panels with the pelican, S. Peter (bottom), Our Lady of Sorrows and S. John, on the back side the Lord in the center.