Description
From high up on the hill, the Church of Sant’Agostino dominates the entire city of Cascia and valley.
It is believed that the primitive church, built on top of a pagan temple, was named after the Baptist. Around the year 1000, the hermits came into possession of the church and erected the convent where the first provincial chapter was held in 1381.The temple with the convent in its current condition was built around 1389, once the new temple was built, the ancient one was used as a lower church and then fell into disuse.
The external face of the current church is in cortina stone; in the lunette under the gothic portal is the fresco of Our Lady with Child (15th century). Inside, to the left of the entrance, it is possible to recognise the figure of Saint Nicholas from Tolentino and, on the opposite side, those of Saints Peter and Paul. At the start of the left wall it is possible to see: saints and Our Lady with St. Nicholas and Saint Monica Mater Augustini. In the opposite wall, the Virgin standing inside an aureola between the Saints Augustine and Rita genuflected in prayer; lower down, praying nuns on their knees and purgative souls (17th century). The monastic choir in solid hazelnut is exquisite.